Friday, July 23, 2010

Don't like it: Coffee Snobbery

I enjoy a good cup of coffee; life is too short for a bad one. I enjoy the morning rituals of making a cappuccino. I've blogged about the coffee shops I like.

A few weekends ago I was in NYC when I was overcome with a wave of nostalgia. I remembered a summer in Spain. I recall spending many afternoons drinking cafe con hielo, laughing with friends and watching the world go by.

Inspired I popped into a coffee shop I frequent and asked for an espresso and a glass of ice. I was shocked by the barista's refusal. The ice she informed me "shocks" the espresso.She was perfectly polite about the whole thing and offered me a number of alternatives. Not being in the mood to argue I ordered without the ice..

Supposedly this type of coffee snobbery is quiet common. The "victims" responce in the linked article was a little more extreme that mine.

Now I appreciate the barista's art. I really do. But at the end of the day it's only coffee and you should be able to drink it as you like especially if the objections are really just based on some bogus assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment